- Assists the MERC FSO in the administration of all aspects of the National Industrial Security Program (NISPOM) to ensure compliance with government security requirements and MERC security policies and procedures, as directed by the MERC FSO.
- Administers and monitors all security measures related to processing clearance paperwork and must be familiar with Electronic Personnel Security Questionnaire (EPSQ), personnel security, facility security, document control, access control, physical security, security education and training as directed by the MERC FSO.
- Assists in the investigation losses and security violations and recommends corrective actions.
- Ensures destruction of classified and confidential information in accordance with NISPOM policies and procedures.
- Assists with the revision of procedures manuals and may interface with outside agencies.
- Studies federal security regulations and restrictions relative to MERC operations.
- Assists the FSO in developing MERC security measures that comply with federal regulations.
- Consults with local, district, or other federal representatives for interpretation or application of particular regulations applying to MERC operations as directed by the MERC FSO.
- Prepares security manuals, outlining and establishing measures and procedures for handling, storing, safekeeping, and destroying classified records and documents, and for granting MERC personnel or visitors access to classified material or entry into restricted areas, as directed by the MERC FSO.
- Must be familiar with duties and responsibilities of the Information System Security Manager for the certification and accreditation of any information systems used to process classified information.
- Requests deviations from restrictive regulations that interfere with normal operations as directed by the FSO.
- Executes the duties and responsibilities of the MERC FSO in their absence.