The Chief Logistician performs all duties and responsibilities under the supervision of the respective technical director in accordance with policies, procedures, protocols, and controls that govern MERC operations as required to successfully execute programs within their product area. The Chief Logistician position is a supervisory position over a team of supply, reliability, and logistics analysts who support system reliability programs, execute root cause analyses, develop failure modes effects criticality analyses, and provide specific expertise on the applicable systems and processes. The Chief Logistician reports to the assigned Technical Director.
- Responsible for the execution of all contractual efforts, including design, development, prototyping, production, operation, etc., as applicable. Sets the example for and advises all technical leads and performs technical work on programs.
- Serves as the technical focal point for all contracts in their respective product areas.
- Responsible for identifying all technical resources required for the respective product area and works with Operations and the directorate leadership to hire, train, and equip the product area.
- The Chief Logistician, along with technical leads and program managers, shall work as an integrated program team to accomplish all contractual requirements and deliverables. The team must look holistically at programs and not just at the logistics and/or reliability aspect(s). Plans shall be devised for each phase of each program, to include identifying and hiring the required resources.
- Responsible for the accuracy and sufficiency of artifacts required to comply with MERC Standard Processes.
- Reviews the quality and effectiveness of the finished product and documents the Lessons Learned for completeness.
- Responsible for writing and obtaining performance documentation from program managers and technical leads for each team member at contract completion.
- Communicates with the Technical Director, the Director of Acquisition Strategy, the Sr. Director of Engineering and Programs, and the Executive Director and keeps them informed of all technical aspects of their programs, especially issues and challenges.
- Primary focal point to current and future customers within the respective product area and across MERC. Responsible for developing business relationships across the DoD and commercial sphere, promoting all MERC’s capabilities and interests and including other chief engineers as necessary. Locates or proposes potential business deals by contacting potential partners and discovering/exploring opportunities.
- Serves as the capture manager on all major contract opportunities; leads the proposal team in concert with the Director of Acquisition Strategy on all efforts.
- Manages the product area technical team of logisticians, reliability analysts, technical writers, etc. and oversees training of new employees in the product area.
- Justifies all budget and resource allocation recommendations to senior management for the product area.