Mercer University seeks an enthusiastic, creative, collegial, and service-oriented Web Services Librarian who will guide the development of the University Library’s online presence. As a member of the University Library Technical Services & Systems Department, the Web Services Librarian interacts with library colleagues across the University in support of our strategic plan. This position will help the Library and its online content be relevant to Mercer’s diverse academic offerings and strengthen the Library’s role as a place of discovery and innovation.
Responsibilities: The successful candidate will provide systems support for the University Library at all locations. The primary duties include:
- Assist the Assistant Dean for Technical Services and Systems (ADTSS) effectively plan, deliver, sustain, and assess library resources via the University Library’s website. Develop policies in support of those activities.
- Work with colleagues in the Library and Campus IT to maintain a cohesive University Library web presence that is in parity with the University’s web site design.
- Provides leadership in design of the web presence and training of library personnel who create and curate content in order to provide easy access to library resources for all Mercerians regardless of physical location.
- Effectively leverage available social media and other platforms to positively impact the Library’s online presence.
- Coordinate with colleagues in Research Services and other departments to design and maintain their online instructional materials.
This position will be located at the Jack Tarver Library on the Macon campus. Some travel to other campuses will be required. We anticipate a start date after February 1, 2019.
Mercer offers a strong benefits package, including tuition waiver program for employees and dependents, and 22 vacation days plus University holidays. This 12-month, non-tenure track position carries faculty rank in the University Library Faculty. Library faculty members participate in library-wide planning and governance, work in a shared decision-making environment, and are active in professional organizations and University wide initiatives.
Who We Are: The University Library http://libraries.mercer.edu offers strong collections of print and electronic resources and a talented library staff of 43 serving 1,600 university employees and over 8,500 students. Mercer is the only independent university of its size to offer programs in liberal arts, business, engineering, education, law, medicine, music, nursing, pharmacy, and theology. For more information, visit http://www.mercer.edu
- A master's degree from a graduate school of library and information science accredited by the American Library Association (or foreign equivalent) or an appropriate master’s degree closely related to library and information science and at least 2 years of prior relevant experience (academic library experience preferred).
- Demonstrated knowledge of a modern content management system, preferably in an academic library setting.
- Demonstrated capacity to adapt to changing technologies and maintain a current technical skillset.
- Knowledge of relevant social media services and effective deployment within an academic setting.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for reference/instruction, including commitment to personalized customer service.
- Knowledge of trends in instructional design, learning theory, and teaching in an online environment.
- Demonstrated experience with electronic resources in a library setting.
- Evidence of skills in coordinating projects, managing multiple tasks, and attention to detail.
- Evidence of commitment for professional growth and development and the potential to meet the criteria for promotion in rank.
- Evidence of successful leadership abilities.
- Academic reference and instruction experience including delivery and assessment of web-based reference services.
|Special Instructions to Applicants
Applications eligible for review will include (1) letter of application specifically addressing the qualifications for the position, (2) resume/CV, and (3) contact information for three professional references.
Applications received before December 7, 2018, will receive full consideration.